Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Momma's Makeup


Growing up, I was a goofy tomboy that was always true to myself. I owned no dresses or skirts. The first time I put on a pair of panty hose was when I was a 10 year old Michelle Kwan wannabe. My ice skating instructors wanted me to twirl and be a pretty little girl, so I quit. I preferred to shop in the boys section and ride my bike. My Mom, God bless her, didn't try to curl my hair or stuff me into any poofy dresses. She embraced me as I was. 

As I got older I vowed to never wear makeup or do anything girly like that. My Grandpa calls this phase "the time we were all secretly worried" phase, but lucky for him puberty changed everything. Ah, puberty. What a wonderful, horrific time it is for us all. Suddenly girls my age had boobs and hips and all sorts of lady bits that made boys like them. Their clothes were filled out gracefully and ladylike in all the right places. I didn't have curves, so I got a perm. Twice. I wore my silver vampire halloween makeup to school because I didn't want my Mom to know that I was starting to be girly. Their eyes sparkled in contrast to their Maybelline lashes and black rimmed eyes.

Fast forward 11 years. Since that awkward time I started wearing makeup, but hardly anything notable. On date nights I would wear some eyeshadow and lipstick, but day to day wear consisted of a little concealer, some loose powder and a dash of pink blush. I might line my eyes from day to day and throw on a little mascara. My skin was glowing and youthful. I didn't need any special moisturizers or fancy foundation. But everything changed when I had my son. 

Some women suffer from horrible nausea and vomiting during their pregnancy. Some women deal with very significant life threatening issues. I dealt with severe cystic acne. It was so bad at one point that I couldn't lay down comfortably or even SMILE because the acne hurt me so bad. I would cry and cry because not only was it terribly painful, but it was so embarrassing. I hated visiting family and washing my face at the end of the night only to show my swollen, red face that looked so different than it had with makeup on. 

After I had Beckham, my acne slowly got better as the pregnancy hormones settled down. But 2 years later I still deal with acne every day. 

I have learned to love my skin as it is and only put trusted products on it. And trust me I've tried dozens of different washes, lotions, primers, foundations etc. Around the time Beckham was born, my relationship with makeup changed. It became crucial that I took excellent care of my skin. This led me to broaden my perspective of makeup. Remember, at this credulous time in my life, my world consisted of Maybelline and Covergirl, which I truly believed would give me 6ft lashes and skin that glowed like a Brazilian beach butt on a hot day. I started digging deeper into the colossal world of cosmetics and I was blown away. Something I love about makeup is that I can switch it up every day. Some days I barely wear any at all, and other days I feel like dressing up my eyes or making a statement with my lip color. If I want to be girly one day and be a bad ass Laura Croft the next day, I can! Makeup helps me express myself. I like being able to change it based on my mood! It's so fun!



I want to share my "must haves" because I have gotten a lot of questions about it recently, which makes me feel awesome! 

These are my top priority products:

Quality makeup brushes 
   -Ulta has amazing brushes!

Tarte Full Coverage Foundation
   -it has SPF 15 and it's made from Amazonian clay. So fancy, I know! It is a little pricey, but honestly it is worth it. I don't have to reapply throughout the day, it doesn't make my skin oily and it doesn't cause breakouts. I will never use anything else! 

Maybelline Line Stiletto Liquid Eyeliner
   -May your wing tip be sharp enough to kill! 

Almay Smart Shade Concealer
   -I love that this concealer blends into my skin flawlessly. It isn't heavy but it is perfect for some under eye touch ups!

Brow Pencil
   -After I started taking care of my face better, I was told by my brow lady that I had been over plucking. *gasp* So now I only pluck stray hairs and I religiously let Laura manage my brow situation. Ever since she's been in charge my brows have been full and perfectly arched. But since I had been over plucking for so long I do have bald spots that need to be filled with a brow pencil. 

Last but not least, I am guilty of being a cheap mascara addict. I basically have no eyelashes, and I spend my money on makeup that is good for my SKIN so I often go for cheap eye makeup. I know, I know, but momma can't spend $30 bucks on mascara at the moment! 

  


For this look, I went with everything "warm" that I could find in my makeup bag. For me this would definitely be a date night look or a "momma-had-more-than-twenty-minutes-alone" look. I used everything listed above, plus my "Little Black Book" eye pallet by ELF. I used the lightest shade on the inner corners of my eyes. Next I used a marroon to cover my lid, then I finished with dark brown on the crease of my lids. I used my liquid eyeliner to do a dramatic (for me) wingtip. I didn't put any liner on my bottom lid, mostly because I like to leave it soft looking. Instead, I took whatever shadow was left on my brush and gently rubbed my bottom lid until I was satisfied with how it looked. I also penciled my eyebrows a lot darker than I usually do, but I always follow the natural curve of my brows. I prefer them to look as natural as possible. I like my eyebrows to be darker than my hair, just because I think it adds a dramatic flair with the contrast of my light hair. For blush, I used a sample of the cream blush that I got from Clinique and I LURVE it! It is a deeper red, but it doesn't stand out too much. I finished with another sample, Michael Kors deep red lip gloss. 

It was so fun to try this look!
I love trying new products, so if you have any suggestions let me know!

XO
Lindsay


2 comments:

  1. Love! You're so pretty and I definitely need to start using your tips!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Ankara'nın en iyi broşür dağıtım şirketi olan
    ankara broşür dağıtım hizmette
    sinir tanimiyor...

    ReplyDelete